This Safari takes you through some of the most remote areas of Namibia which have been rarely explored by others, making this a journey of discovery.
This Exploration takes you through some of the most remote areas of the fascinating land of Namibia; areas which have been rarely explored by others, making this a journey of discovery.
The dunes of Sossusvlei are not to be missed and therefore we begin our journey here. This Exploration also takes in the amazing marine life just off Swakopmund, the secluded and dramatic coastline of the Skeleton Coast littered with historic remnants of shipwrecks and the rugged and rocky landscape of Palmwag where the last free-roaming black rhino rove. Aside from wildlife and activities, meet the native people of Namibia, from those who work at our camps to many others, such as local fishermen and vendors.
- Distinctive activities include climbing some of the world’s tallest dunes, rhino tracking, a motorboat lagoon trip at Walvis Bay and viewing shipwreck remains along the dramatic coastline.
- Endless landscapes and places of interest are seen along the way, with a scenic flight from Sossusvlei to Swakopmund (weather permitting) being a highlight.
- At the much-revered Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp, an isolated wilderness and dry riverbed reveals Namibia’s unique desert-adapted wildlife, from elephant and giraffe to the uncommon “desert lion.”
The vast horizons of Namibia are showcased in this Exploration as you drive and fly between locations. Areas of interest are pointed out along the way, giving you a real taste of Namibia as a magnificent and remarkable country.
From Windhoek we drive to Kulala Desert Lodge in the private Kulala Wilderness Reserve. Here we explore the iconic dunes of Sossusvlei and the moon-like landscape of Dead Vlei.
We take a scenic flight to Swakopmund, a picturesque town that blends European and African culture. We’ll explore the Atlantic coast with a private boat cruise from Walvis Bay to Sandwich Harbour (weather permitting) to see diverse pelagic (ocean-going) birdlife, Cape fur seals and rare Heaviside’s dolphins up close. We stay at the grand Hansa Hotel.
Travel up the legendary Skeleton Coast where you can expect to see the fascinating lichen plains at Wlotskasbaken and remains of shipwrecks along the way. We also take in the ghostly disused diamond mine near Toscanini and overnight at Terrace Bay Lodge in Skeleton Coast National Park.
We continue through the Skeleton Coast National Park to the Möwe Bay Museum and then head inland to other attractions including two oases, an intriguing “roaring” dune and spectacular desert scenery combined with whatever wildlife presents itself. We spend two nights at Hoanib Skeleton Coast Camp.
Another exciting day is spent on the road to Desert Rhino Camp. The rugged, rocky and mountainous Palmwag Concession brings with it the opportunity of seeing giraffe, gemsbok (oryx) and springbok. We bed down at Desert Rhino Camp and spend two days tracking the rare desert-adapted black rhino which are monitored and protected by the Save the Rhino Trust.
We bid farewell to our adventure as we transfer to the Doro Nawas Airstrip to return to Windhoek.
As a set-departure guided journey, the Desert Dune Safari fully inclusive rates comprise the expertise of one knowledgeable and professional guide who leads you from beginning to end, combined with tailor-made services like logistics, sightseeing and accommodation in our camps.
• All meals (excluding dinner on the second evening in Swakopmund)
• A reasonable amount of soft drinks, mineral water, fruit juice, house wine and beer, as well as local spirits such as gin and Amarula while at the Wilderness Camps
• National Park fees
• Laundry (excluded at Hansa Hotel & Terrace Bay Lodge)
• Scheduled activities
• Road transfers
• All internal charters on a seat-rate basis as specified in the detailed safari itinerary
• Flights (other than specified in the detailed safari itinerary)
• Compulsory comprehensive insurance
• All drinks at the Hansa Hotel & Terrace Bay Lodge
• All personal purchases (including curios, spirit liquors, telephone calls, etc.)
• Optional extra activities
• All other travel arrangements pre and post the safari
• Any new Government taxes, levies, fuel or industry increases which are beyond our control.
Ultimate Romance of Africa | Wild & Luxurious Southern Africa | Unforgettable Zimbabwe Safari | Ultimate BIG 5 Safari | Ultimate Leopard Safari | Ultimate Predator Safari | African Dunes, Delta & Falls | Best of Botswana Safari | Luxury Safari in Botswana | Luxury Tented Safari in Botswana | East Africa Safari | Karibu Kenya Safari | Kenya Walking Safari | Fly Me Around Kenya | African Safari & Island Romance | Black Spots and White Pearls | Romantic Mozambique Escape | Marine Big Five and Big Five Safari | Arid Space, Seaside and Endless Dunes | Enchanting Namibia Safari | Namibia Dunes & Desert Safari | Self-Drive Safari in Namibia | A Family Affair in Africa | Battlefields, Bush & Beach Safari | Cape Winelands & Whale Coast | Grand South Africa Villa Safari | Human Origins Safari | Sabi Sands & Table Mountain | Conquer Kilimanjaro | Treasures of Tanzania Safari | Romantic East Africa Safari | Secluded Tanzania Safari | Tanzania Beach & Safari Holiday | Zanzibar Beach & Safari Holiday | Best of Zimbabwe Safari | Lake Kariba & Victoria Falls | Wild Sights of Botswana | Gorilla Tracking in Rwanda | Gorilla Tracking in Uganda | Footsteps of Nelson Mandela | Private East African Safari | Botswana Summer Encounter | Great Wilderness Journey | Okavango Channels and Plains | Desert Dune Safari | Diverse Namibia | Hwange Walking Safari