Tengile River Lodge in the Sabi Sands
Tengile River Lodge – An exclusive safari haven on a bend of the Sand River
The spirit of &Beyond Tengile River Lodge
&Beyond Tengile River Lodge holds an idyllic private position on a bend of the Sand River. Each area of the lodge has been specially designed to ensure magnificent river views from all angles. The nine secluded suites, nestled in the dappled shade of the cool riverine forest, and the guest areas, all exquisitely mirror the beauty of the outdoors. Impact and sustainability is at the heart of every space at Tengile River Lodge. Earthy textured materials have been repurposed from the landscape, including the Selati Railway that paves the lodge’s terrazzo floors in a colourful montage of black hues, deep green and rusty shades. This railway once linked the City of Gold, Johannesburg, to bustling Maputo, and traversed through the game reserve.
A fine balance between classic and contemporary, the environmentally conscious natural design is a tableau of slatted raw wood, and natural light from high glass windows illuminating refined interiors. Velvety sand from the area covers the roof, allowing for a perfect fusion into the landscape and creating minimal impact on this magnificent setting. Naturally streaked timber is a sustainable resource and decorates the main lodge areas and guest rooms. A dazzling chandelier floats above the dining room table and is a whirling, whimsical feature constructed from smooth green sea glass, a treasure tumbled from the currents. Feature walls are created from layers of slate stone and rich colours of brass, gold, khaki green and emerald breathe life into the organic materials, glass and wood that create this exquisite vision.
Space and comfort is taken to an unprecedented level in the guest suites. Bespoke furniture, lights and unique décor pieces have been created from incredibly innovative and skilled local artists, and striking fabrics have been masterfully hand-painted to echo nuances of nature and wildlife prints. The lodge’s guest area offers a mixed selection of open, interactive, and private places of refuge. The design of this common area ensures a seamless indoor-outdoor flow, with the viewing deck a highlight point. The massage sala and gym area offers guests yet another haven of well-being and tranquillity.
9 air-conditioned thatched suites;
Private deck; private lap pool; outdoor lounge
Private lap pool;
WI-FI in suites;
Children 12 years and older only.
2 inter-leading suites available.
No triple room options.
Early morning and evening game drives;
Interpretive bush walks; Birdwatching;
Big Five with multitudes of antelope, hippo and spotted hyena
Star Project / Community Development;
What we love about Tengile River Lodge
- Sip artfully crafted cocktails and delight in exclusive wine pairings. Enchant your taste buds with warmly prepared farm to table cuisine, with our organic and homemade philosophy permeating our approach to all things edible, awakening the palate to a variety of textures, tastes, and flavours.
- Go ‘Beyond the expected’ with a safari theatre experience. Led by the most experienced guides, delight in morning bush coffee rendezvous and evening sundowner drinks and food offerings. You can expect a perfectly made cappuccino or cocktail, frothed and shaken (or stirred!) on your game drives.
- Connect with nature with twice-daily game drives, interpretive bush walks, the river view from all the suites, and that of the extensive viewing deck.
- Be captivated with spectacular close encounters and breathtaking sightings of leopard and other wildlife in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
- Engage with the locals on wonderful community visits. Your heart will burst with the joys of laughing children, teachers who are preparing future leaders and the welcome of diverse communities and cultures.
- Rest assured that our ecological footprint is as minimal as possible. Our sustainability elements in the lodge design include thermal efficiency, state-of-the-art wastewater and sewer treatment systems. Strict vehicle limits at game sightings ensure the exclusivity of the wildlife experiences.