Kenya Horseback Safaris and Big 5
Combine exceptional wildlife sightings in the Masai Mara Reserve with a horseriding safari
Combine exceptional wildlife sightings in Kenya’s most famous national park with a horseriding safari through one of its most striking and tranquil wildlife areas. Indulge in the opportunity to explore the ancient volcanic landscapes of Chyulu Hills National Park on horseback, riding through magnificent landscapes and moving undisturbed among the wildlife, or choose to feel the earth beneath your feet on guided bush walks. From here, travel to the iconic Masai Mara, home of Africa’s Great Migration. Lose yourself among the endless rolling hills, discover vast numbers of wildlife and meet proud Maasai warriors. Encounter the Big Five and catch a glimpse of the night life of the Mara’s predators on fascinating night drives.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE ITINERARY:
- Excellent photographic opportunities in the world renowned Masai Mara National Park
- Roaming the breathtaking savannah of the Masai Mara National Reserve in search of its exceptional wildlife
- The open plains, rolling Chyulu Hills and snow-capped peaks of Kilimanjaro
- A different take on safari – horse riding, engaging walking safaris and thrilling night drives
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR ADVENTURE:
- Add to your Kenyan adventure by hopping across the border to northern Tanzania. Chat to our travel experts about the various accommodation and adventure options
- Extend your Kenyan Safari in the Masai Mara by combining it with a stay on the beaches of the East African coast or, if you want to continue with your wilderness adventure then add on a couple of nights in the Meru, Tsavo or Samburu National Park – our travel experts have many accommodation options available for you to pick and choose from!
SPECIALLY CREATED FOR:
- Walking enthusiasts
- Horse-riding enthusiasts
- Active travellers
This adventure starts and ends in Jomo Kenyatta International airport in Kenya.
Upon your arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport you will be met by an &Beyond representative and assisted to your transfer to Palacina the Residence and Suites.
Kenya’s capital is one of the largest and most influential cities in Africa, an important commercial and financial regional hub. It is the port of entry for most travelers to Kenya and offers bustling markets, interesting history and numerous attractions. Named after a Maasai watering hole, “enkare nyarobi”, which means “place of cool waters”, Nairobi is known for its leafy streets and parks. The skyline, with towering skyscrapers and imposing architecture also draws the attention of every arrival to the city.
Spend one night at the Palacina the Residence and Suites in a Suite. Your stay includes accommodation breakfast and dinner.
DAY 2 – 4
After breakfast, you will be transferred by road to Wilson Airport in time for your scheduled SafariLink flight to Chyulu Airstrip. On arrival, you will be met by a representative from Ol Donyo Lodge and transferred to the lodge.
The captivating Ol Donyo Lodge is tucked away in the cool shadow of the Chyulu Hills, in one of Kenya’s most prized safari destinations — the Amboseli region. The lodge boasts spacious guest suites with their own private sitting rooms and swimming pools. All the suites features sundowner areas, as well as rooftop “star beds”, allowing the more adventurous to sleep under the glittering night sky.
The Chyulu Hills and the surrounding ecosystem lend itself perfectly to horseback safaris. The going is coarse, volcanic sand, which is ideal footing for fast or slow riding. A horse can navigate this diverse landscape so gracefully, moving in and out of the wildlife without disturbance and covering miles of open country.
To experience wildlife on horseback is an opportunity not to be missed. Ol Donyo’s team of 25 horses, ranging in size and performance to suit riders of all levels, can take guests out riding twice daily.
Ol Donyo takes great pride in the training and care of the horses and many guests, familiar with excellent horseback safaris, have stated, “This is the best horse riding country in Africa.” For lodge guests, horse rides are offered every morning and evening, with a break in the middle of the day. Those more zealous riders, wanting more hours in the saddle, can opt for 1 or 2 nights fly camping where they ride further afield, keeping the horses with them throughout, taking a lightweight camp to sleep in at night. Camping is available to one group at a time only (maximum 6 guests), and is best booked in advance.
Enjoy three nights at Ol Donyo Lodge in a Deluxe Pool Suite with ensuite bathroom. Your stay includes accommodation, scheduled activities (including horseback riding), meals, conservation fees, daily laundry, return Chyulu airstrip road transfers, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages (excluding
DAY 5 – 7
After breakfast, you will be transferred by road back to the airstrip in time for your scheduled SafariLink flight to Masai Mara (Via Wilson Airport). On arrival, you will be met by a representative from Mara Plains and transferred to the lodge.
The Masai Mara is Kenya’s most renowned game park and forms the northern extension of the Serengeti. Its legendary Great Migration, of over two million wildebeest and other antelope, has been described as one of nature’s greatest wildlife spectacles — and an experience every safari enthusiast should witness at least once in their lifetime. Game viewing in this celebrated park is wonderful all-round the year, with virtually guaranteed sightings of the Big Five. The park takes its name from the Mara River, which flows through the reserve, and the Maasai people, a tribe whose red dress and proud demeanour have ensured they are probably Kenya’s best-known (and most-photographed) people.
A fantastic alternative to the traditional game viewing experience, guests have the unforgettable opportunity to explore the vast, game-rich plains of the iconic Masai Mara on horseback. Suitable for novice (a basic level of riding ability is required) and experienced equestrians, this 2-hour activity allows guests to get up-close to plains game, on well-schooled horses. The rides take place either in the morning or afternoon, and guests are equipped with boots, helmets and half chaps to ensure a safe and comfortable experience. The Ride Mara Stables is centrally located for easy access from the Naibosho, Olare Orok and Mara North Conservancies, including the Masai Mara Reserve.
Indulge in three nights at Mara Plains in a Tent with ensuite bathroom with shower only. Your stay includes accommodation, all conservation/park fees, scheduled wildlife viewing activities on the Maasai Mara Reserve (one day per stay), Olare Motorogi & Mara North Conservancies, all meals, laundry, return Olare Motorogi airstrip road transfers, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages (excluding champagne).
Depart to the airstrip for your scheduled light aircraft flight to Wilson Airport. On arrival, you will be met by an &Beyond representative and transferred by road to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
SKYSHIP BALLOON SAFARI
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Masai Mara National Reserve on a once-in-a-lifetime hot air balloon flight. Pass over endless plains, sail over the dramatic Mara River, watch wildlife traverse verdant swaps and cruise past flourishing forests – this adventure is truly worthwhile!
KAREN BLIXEN/GIRAFFE CENTRE/DAPHNE SHELDRICK TOUR
Discover three of Nairobi’s most loved attractions on this delightful three-hour excursion. Your journey will begin with a short exploration of the Karen Blixen Museum, for a glimpse into the fascinating world of this pioneer coffee farmer, who achieved world fame through her highly-acclaimed memoir, “Out of Africa”. Your next stop will take you to the renowned Giraffe Centre, where you will be given a rare opportunity to get up-close to these gentle giants in this natural sanctuary, which has been founded by Jock Leslie-Melville, the Kenyan grandson of a Scottish Earl, to protect the endangered Rothschild Giraffe. A heart-warming visit to the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage will wrap up your outing ― here you can witness the heroic efforts of the dedicated team who rehabilitate orphaned elephant calves and other vulnerable animals.
Kenya Horseback Safaris and Big 5
INCLUDED IN THE RATE
- Meet and Greet service at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- Accommodation inclusions as per itinerary above
- All scheduled inter-lodge flights:
Wilson Airport/Chyulu Hills/Masai Mara/Wilson Airport
- All scheduled road transfers:
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport/Palacina/Wilson Airport
Wilson Airport/Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- Horse Riding at Mara Plains
- Kenya National park fees
- Domestic departure tax
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Rates subject to a minimum of 2 guests travelling
- Single supplement only refers to the single room supplement. Single traveller and children supplement will be quoted on request
- Validity periods are as specified above – should a booking fall over two rate periods the rate will change and we reserve the right to re-quote
- The rates quoted are subject to change without prior warning if there are any increases in bed levies, park fees, fuel, sales tax or VAT, third-party services or any other circumstances beyond our control in the countries featured in this quote
- &Beyond Trading Terms apply
Kenya Horseback Safaris and Big 5
More Luxury Safaris
- Botswana Southern Sanctuaries
- Diverse Namibia
- East Africa Safari inspired by Conde Naste
- Great Wilderness Journey
- Hwange Walking Safaris
- Iconic Africa
- Into the Wilderness
- Karibu Kenya
- Kenya Horseback Safaris and Big 5
- Kruger Park Luxury Safari
- Mashatu and Mala Mala
- Migration, Lake and Crater Safari
- Namib Desert Dune Safari
- Namibia Dunes and Desert
- Northern Kruger Private Safari
- Okavango Channels and Plains
- Romantic East Africa Safari
- Short and Sweet Masai Mara
- Tanzania Explorer Safari
- Treasures of Tanzania Safari
- Victoria Falls Tour
- Where the Lions Roar
- Wild and Luxurious Southern Africa
- Wings over Botswana 5
- Wings over Botswana 7
- Wings over Botswana 8
- Wings over Botswana 9